SSU's Emergency Notification System (ENS)
The notification system will only be used when there is critical information regarding an imminent emergency to convey to students, faculty and staff. The system currently only sends messages to cell phones via voice and text messaging. Additional modes of communicating (campus phones, email) will be added in Phase II. The campus community has been opted-in but it is possible to opt-out.
What is the ENS?
The emergency notification system was developed for colleges, universities and businesses. Designated account managers in Police Services or University Affairs are able to send text messages to cell phones* communicating critical campus information and updates to students, faculty and staff in real-time. For that reason, all students, faculty and staff have been opted-in.
* All mobile phone numbers entered into PeopleSoft are automatically uploaded to the system daily. In order to receive the messages, it is critical that ALL members of the campus community (students, faculty and staff) log in to MySSU via online services to either review OR update information:
- Once in Online Services click Main Menu in top blue bar
- > click Self Service
- > click Personal Information
- > click Phone Numbers and update or add your Mobile number
- Click Save to update the information
Why were you opted-in?
For safety reasons, as many people as possible must be reachable quickly, requiring access to students, faculty and staff cell phone numbers. Because of this, students, faculty and staff were opted-in.
How do users opt-out?
To opt-out, text STOP SSU to 23177 or 63079.
How do I opt-in if I am on campus but am not an employee or a student?
Various groups on campus (i.e. Tech High, the Bookstore, Center for Distributed Learning, etc.) are not Sonoma State programs, yet they reside on campus and therefore must be informed on emergencies. To opt in, send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are there other ways to get updates during emergencies?
During emergencies ENS is the primary mechanism that will be utilized to distribute information. Secondarily, SSU's official Facebook and Twitter sites will be also be used during large scale emergencies. Students, faculty and staff may want to "Like" SSU's official Facebook site <https://www.facebook.com/sonomastateuniversity> or follow the University on Twitter <https://twitter.com/SSU_1961>
- SSU will not use the service for non-emergency message and the ENS vendor does not provide share any information with others.
- Message and Data Rates May Apply